Monday, April 1, 2013

Time Flies

They really mean it when they say "time flies when you're having fun." Seriously. I did a double-take when I looked at my calendar and it said today is April 1. Hold on - where did January, February, and March go? With a sturdy pair of boots and a winter coat that looks like a sleeping bag with arms, I have survived (mostly) the harsh South Bend winter, and am ardently awaiting the first blooms of spring. (Hurry up.)

I've been up to my eyeballs with schoolwork and other fun stuff. Classes are interesting and challenging  as ever, and it's come to be that time of the semester when I have to start thinking about thenext semester's classes. Scary.

I've also done all kinds of fun stuff in the past few weeks. In February, I went to the Bengal Bouts finals, and it was definitely one of the coolest and most inspiring things I've seen all year. Bengal Bouts is the largest amateur boxing tournament in the world. Fighting by the motto "Strong bodies fight, that weak bodies may be nourished," over 200 Notre Dame men train for months leading up to the bouts and raise money for Notre Dame's Holy Cross missions in Bangladesh. (Women box in their own tournament, Baraka Bouts, which takes place in November.)

Bengal Bouts finals in the Purcell Pavilion

While I was home for spring break, my dad and I hopped the train to New York City to see the men's basketball team play in their final Big East tournament. We watched the Irish defeat Marquette (while wearing those...eye-catching...uniforms). We had a great time at Madison Square Garden, even though our boys lost to Louisville the next night.

My dad and I at Madison Square Garden -
note shamrock scarf
I made a quick trip home for Easter - which was lovely - and had the wonderful surprise of catching the Phillies game on Friday night with my brother and our friends. Though the Phils lost to the Blue Jays, we had a blast hanging out in the Diamond Club, eating Chickie's and Pete's crab fries, and generally celebrating the return of baseball season.

My view from the Diamond Club
Like I said, I've been quite the busy bee. With only a little over a month of school to go, I have no doubt that I'll have just as many irons in the fire (if not more). Check back for my progress! And for my daily musings, follow me on Twitter @nicolemcalee!

No comments:

Post a Comment